← Kicking It Old School This →
What I brought…
August 30, 2013
Traveling is always a little bit stressful, but throwing an infant (and a hubby who was working a half day) into the mix makes it full on nerve wracking! We just flew down to Atlanta to surprise JMB’s Grammie and Pawpaw, and while the actual flying part was a breeze, it took me about a week to figure out what to bring.
Here’s what I brought and what we couldn’t have lived without on the trip
- Travel Bassinet (find it here) – since we were surprising my in-laws, I couldn’t call and ask if they had a spare pack and play laying around. Plus, I knew we weren’t checking any bags, and while airlines are lenient with extra bags for travelling with an infant, I didn’t want to push my luck (or break my back) with the pack and play.
- Pacis. Lots of them! JMB absolutely LOVES the soothies. He’ll tolerate other pacis, but only if there isn’t a soothie around. I tend to keep a close eye on where they go, but inevitably, they always go missing. Or fall on the ground on the airplane.
- Enough wipes and diapers for the airport, the flight, and landing. We picked up diapers and a pack of wipes on our way to my in-laws so we didn’t have to pack 1000 diapers. JMB is a bit of a potty monster.
- His lovey and his blanket. This was his first trip overnight away from home and since we couldn’t exactly head back to our house if he was fussy, I wanted to make sure that he had a few things that reminded him of home to help him sleep.
- And speaking of sleep…a travel sound machine. I got mine at Buy Buy Baby before he was born, just to see if he even liked the noises, now, he sleeps with it on every night.
- Of course, you can’t leave home without clothes! I packed enough for 2 changes per day, plus pjs. We ended up not needing to change him out of any of his outfits throughout the day, but it was nice knowing I had backup if needed!
- Baby carrier. I went out and bought the Ergo specifically for this trip. We have another carrier, but it isn’t as comfortable for me, especially not for longer periods of time. At the recommendation of some ladies I went to school with, I figured this would be the best carrier for me, and it certainly didn’t disappoint. I was able to wear JMB onto and off of the plane, which freed up my hands to carry one of the many bags we brought along.
- Last, but certainly not least, my breast pump. We wanted to have a chance to get out an explore Atlanta while JMB was kicking it with Grammie and Pawpaw, so I wanted to make sure a) that my boobs didn’t explode and b) he would have plenty of milk available. Plus, this gave EVERYONE a chance to feed him. My pump comes with a cooler, but if yours doesn’t, get a small cooler or some way to transport your pumped milk. If all else fails, ask for a bowl of ice and call it a day! We had to do that at one of our stops…super classy! More on those in another post!
I have to say, for as stressed as I was leading up to the trip, he did awesome. The whole getting out of the house with an infant, a suitcase, a diaper bag, and a breast pump was a little rough, but once we got to the airport, it was smooth sailing.
What are some things you can’t travel without?
This entry was posted in Baby Baukovic
. Bookmark the permalink
← Kicking It Old School This →